KCBS teams are known for cooking some of the best barbeque in the world, but it takes a dedicated team of judges to decide which is truly the best-of-the-best. Being a Certified Barbeque Judge (CBJ) means more than just getting to taste award-winning barbeque - and deciding which barbeque wins those awards. It's about representing and spreading the message of KCBS, which is to promote America's cuisine - barbeque.
To become a CBJ, just attend one of the hundreds of classes conducted by KCBS every year throughout the country. In a half-day's time, you'll learn how to grade world-class chicken, pulled pork, ribs and brisket - and taste them during the process!
By the time you're finished, you'll be ready to sign up for the next competition in your area!
Additional information regarding becoming a CBJ / CTC
March 12, 2022
Certified Barbeque Judge (CBJ) Class - Class time: 10am to 2pm
Certified Table Captain (CTC) Class - Class time: 3pm to 5pm
Washington County Fairgrounds
922 Front Street
Marietta, OH 45750
Certified Barbeque Judge (CBJ)
The first half of the CBJ class, the instructor will have a presentation in details on what is expected from KCBS Judges and the process for judging at a contest. The second half of the class will be sampling the different meats (chicken, ribs, pork and brisket) just like you are judging a contest. Meats will be cooked by a local current KCBS competitor team. You will NOT be hungry when this class is over. After completion of the class the student will be certified as a KCBS CBJ.
Certified Table Captain (CTC)
There will be a CTC Class following the CBJ class. This class will provide the knowledge of what is needed to be a Certified Table Captain. The class will provide details on the do’s and don’ts of being a CTC with KCBS. After completion of the class, the student will be certified as a KCBS Table Captain.
1. MUST be ACTIVE KCBS member before enrolling for CBJ/CTC class.
To obtain KCBS membership go to https://www.kcbs.us/join_now.php
2. After completing & sending the enrollment form & payment, the organizer will confirm with KCBS of your membership status. If your membership status is good with KCBS, the organizer will process your payment and send you a confirmation email on your class enrollment.
Please complete the class the enrollment form and emailed to: email@example.com.
One final reminder will be emailed one week prior to the class.
CBJ Class: Active KCBS members = $90
Continuous education = Current CBJ & KCBS membership is free with verification of your KCBS membership.
Continuous education is ONLY free for the presentation, NOT sampling of the different meats.
CTC Class: Active KCBS members = $55
Continuous education = Current CTC & KCBS membership is free with verification of your KCBS membership.
* NO family or team member discounts. All students are enrolled individually with own KCBS membership.
* All class fees must be paid by February 28, 2022 to keep your class spot.
* If you cancel your enrollment before February 28, 2022, your class fee will be refunded.
* If you cancel your enrollment after February 28, 2022 OR if you do NOT show up to class, your class fee will NOT be refunded.
* These fees cover class manual, badge, meats, supplies, instructor’s fees and venue fees.
*Check - Make check payable to “Events by Emmeline, LLC”.
Please mail complete class the enrollment form and check to:
Events by Emmeline; P.O. Box 31; Marietta, OH 45750
* Credit Card – Will be processed through “Square Invoices”. The credit card processing fee is an additional $5 non-refundable.
Please complete the class the enrollment form and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Square Invoice will be emailed to you after your Class Enrollment Form has been received & KCBS membership verified.